Here is why you need to take probiotics. When you eat food, your body breaks it down and absorbs the nutrients it needs. Sometimes there are remaining food bits that become waste.
Now, the bacteria in your gut help with this process, by breaking down the waste and turning it into poop. And that's where probiotics come in! They are good bacteria that live in your gut, and they help keep everything running smoothly, by keeping your gut bacteria balanced and healthy. When you have enough of these good bacteria, they can help you have regular bowel movements, you want to have at least one bowel movement per day, otherwise, this waste is toxic to your body.
Few benefits of probiotics:
- Strengthened Immune System: Probiotics can help stimulate the production of antibodies, and increase the number of immune cells, which can help fight off harmful bacteria and viruses.
- Reduced Inflammation: Some strains of probiotics have been found to reduce inflammation, which can help with conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- Better Mental Health: Research suggests that probiotics may improve mental health, by reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- May help with weight management: Some studies show that probiotics may reduce appetite, and increase metabolism.
Sources of probiotics:
- Kimchi - look for ones that are low in sugar.
- Kombucha - not my favorite source, many have high sugar content, so pick and choose.
- Supplements, I will share with you my favorite brands. I also recommend you take it first thing in the morning: Garden of Life - Dr. Formulated, or this one if you want something for healthier skin. I also like Bio-K and Seed .
Also, it is good to rotate and change the brand of your probiotics. Every couple of months, to expose your gut to new bacteria.
So there you have it – the many benefits of probiotics, and some sources to check out. Have you tried probiotics before? Let me know in the comments!
PS: If you want to learn more about probiotics, and other essential supplements your body may need, check out my “A to Z Guide to the Most Essential Supplements”.